Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Yesterday's mayhem

Have not been posting as much as I should, but I am endeavouring to spend less time attached to electronics. But my training has been going on regardless of my absence from my blog. I am also quite active in the forums, so I am still connected to the scene.

After giving it a lot of thought and toying with it during several training sessions, I gave The Movement protocols a try.

INSANE!!!! I have never put that much volume at that intensity in any training session and walk away that fresh. Just applying the little I know about the methods had a massive impact: no exercise affected the one following it, regardless that I was moving some serious poundage. Given they are not my personal bests, but due to the absence of these exercises from my training for a long period, and the poundages I am able to handle after just a short time of reimplementing them, I consider the entire workout one huge PR as the poundages and intensity I applied came FAR, FAR sooner than expected.

I have returned to my roots in regards to training, following a similar layout that got me to my massive one-arm press PR. One I WILL break.

The workout:

Bottoms-Up Curls - 20 lbs. KB - What are these? Curls holding the KB by the handle and crush-gripping it as you curl. At the top of the curl, it should look similar to the start of a BUP. I put in 5 sets of 4-5 reps, each one as fresh as the one before, ending the movement altogether when I noticed a bit more effort required on the last set.

Gripper Work - my usual ladders going up through the CoC 1, 1.5, 2, and chocked 2.5 at the top for 4 ladders, a single with a 3-5 second pause at the fully squeezed positions. Ended when the top end singles got harder.

Clean & FSQ - 110 lb. KB - 2 sets of 2, one clean to one FSQ, just to get things going. Were easy. LOVE the bracing effect it triggers in the abdominal wall.

TGUs - 110 with 2 free-swinging 10 lb weights - 4 singles, left and right, of full TGUs. Kept them going until the last one got tougher, then done.

One-arm Rows s/s with Teeth lifts - 130 with 24 kg KB for rows w/ 2x16 kg KBs for teeth lifts - What are teeth lifts? I bend at the waist, bite down on a piece of rope attached to the two 16kg KBs, then with my face towards the floor holding the weight with only bite power, I perform neck work to the posterior. I have an extremely strong anterior neck musculature as a carryover from football as a teen, so I have to constantly work on my posterior musculature to balance it out our it messes with my thoracic and cervical spine alignment. Anyways, the set/rep scheme was 2 sets of 4-6 for each arm on the rows, and 5 sets of 5 for the teeth lifts. Ended when they got a little tough on the teeth lift.

One-arm MP - 110 lbs. alternated with 32 kg KB - I would perform a heavy set of 3 reps with 32kg with each arm, then perform a set of 1-3 reps with 110. I have experimented extensively with this before, and find that it makes my heavy reps that much more explosive, the form tighter, and the musculature suprisingly fresh and reset. I believe that these are also known as complex sets, but I crush down the rests to when I feel fresh, but not fully recovered. 4 complex sets per side.

One-arm Deadlifts - 205 lbs, made up of the 110 lbs., 32 kg, and 20 lbs. KBs - 2 sets of 10-15 per side. These suprised the hell out of me. After all of the above, and still raring to go. Was gassed after these, but every rep was quick and controlled, with a perfect hip snap at the top.

Seems like a lot, but my body thrives on this type of assault. Was my regular training style when I logged my monsterous press poundages. Works for me, might not for you. But you are not me.

This morning, except for some tightness, I had no other leftovers from that kind of punishment. The Movement methodology is the real deal people. Each of my exercises, with the exception of the TGUs, was tested, and the best choice used. The result was a suprising training session that left me hungry for more. My fridge paid the price afterwards.

Today might be LCCJ, or some other lighter volume work. Dunno. Will see what the testing results in.

No comments:

Post a Comment