Sunday, November 29, 2009

Easy Training today

Switching gears a little, and trimming my sessions to bare bones. Yesterday's session was Ataturks and my Rows/Teeth lifts superset. All I know is, my shoulders and upper back are literally exploding, and I am finding my XL shirts to be a little tight. My steel bending is also making steady progress, so I think I might be onto something productive for my body.

Today's fun:

Gripper Training - Resistance ladders, CoC Trainer to CoC 1.5 for 3 ladders, 4 reps per hand per rung. Easy, and all reps were easy. I have also filed down the grips on one side of my grippers, so I am over-crushing on each rep. Really finding it helps.

Warm-up - 24 kg - 2 rounds left and right of Swings+FSQ+Bent Presses, for 5/3/3 back to back before switching sides. Really enjoyed these. Will keep these as the warm up for a while.

Double MP - 2x24 kg - 20 sets of 5 reps, focusing on perfect form. Very easy weight, basically for volume, and was a test, to see just how light double 24s have become when not having Ataturks beforehand. Will be moving up some to make it more challenging. I am working towards beating Kenneth Jay's old pressing challenge, which was 400 reps (200 left/200 right) of MPs for sets of 5 with a 32 kg in 51 minutes. My presses were supersetted with:

Weighted Pullups - alternating 10kg and 16 kg - these were for singles, alternating back and forth each set. These were done with a 2" grip, basically pieces of 2" diameter PVC over my pullup bar. Did these for the first 11 sets, then when the grip was starting to weaken, I ditched the PVC and continued on. The 10 kg singles were for maximum velocity, trying to get as much of myself above the bar as possible, and the 16 kg singles for control and perfect form.

Snatches - 24 kg - 4 ladders of 2/4/6. Easy, and the 24 kg was very light. In no hurry with these, so I am slowly plodding along, using the RTK format. Want to use that for building some snatching proficiency before moving onto the V02 format.

Power Breathing - one set of 5. I do these with my heels and thighs pressed together slightly, and contracting my abs as hard as possible. Feel it all the way around the entire abdominal structure, from the symphysis pubis to the xiphoid process, and everything in between. Worked for Farmer Burns, works for Pavel, and works for me. If you have not mastered these, start. They will help with heavy grind reps, allowing for greater control as you utilize the Valsava maneuver.

That was it. Short and sweet. The new setup I am using is leaving me absolutely WIRED after a training session, so I am on the right track.

Am also GTG with BW pullups throughout the day, with varying grip widths. Somewhere in the future I will be adding one arm handstand holds. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment